In a study twenty Type 2 diabetic subjects between the age group of 30 to 60 years were studied to see the effect of 40 days of Yogasana [Yoga Postures] on biochemical profile. The duration of diabetes ranged from 0 to 10 years. The study suggests that Yogasana [Yoga Postures] have a beneficial effect on glycaemic control and lipid profile in mild to moderate Type 2 diabetes. (10)
A study done in twenty four NIDDM patients of 30 to 60 year old provides metabolic and clinical evidence of improvement in glycaemic control and pulmonary functions. These middle-aged subjects were type II diabetics on anti hyperglycaemic and dietary regimen. Their baseline fasting and postprandial blood glucose and glycosylated Hb were monitored along with pulmonary function studies. (11)
1. King H, Aubert RE, Herman WH: "Global burden of diabetes", 1995-2025: prevalence, numerical estimates, and projections. Diabetes Care 1998; 21:1414-1131.
2. Fall CH. "Non-industrialized countries and affluence". Br Med Bull 2001;60:33-50
3. King H, Zimmet P. "Trends in the prevalence and incidence of diabetes: non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus". World Health Stat Q 1988;41:190-196.
4. Bjork S, Kapur A, King H, et al. "Global policy: aspects of diabetes in India". Health Policy 2003 ;66:61-72.
5. Yoga Therapy for Diabetes (Type II) http://www.oneyogagroup.com/yoga_therapy_for_diabetes.htm
6. A. Vedamurthachar, Nimmagadda Janakiramaiah, Jayaram M. Hegde, Taranath K. Shetty, D.K. Subbakrishna, S.V. Sureshbabu and B.N. Gangadhar "Antidepressant efficacy and hormonal effects of Sudarshana Kriya Yoga (SKY) in alcohol dependent individuals" Journal of Affective Disorders Volume 94, Issues 1-3, August 2006, Pages 249-253
7. Paola Monnazzi , Oriana Leri , Liliana Guizzardi , Domenico Mattioli , F. R. Patacchioli "Anti-stress effect of yoga-type breathing: modification of salivary cortisol, heart rate and blood pressure following a step-climbing exercise" Weekly inter science Volume 18, Issue 4 , Pages 195 – 200
8. RS Surwit and MS Schneider "Role of stress in the etiology and treatment of diabetes mellitus" Psychosomatic Medicine, Vol 55, Issue 4 380-393
9. PS Singh, RK Ganjoo " Role of Pranayama in Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus" JAPI • VOL. 53 • APRIL 2005, Pages 332
10. V Malhotra, S Singh, K P Singh, S B Sharma, S V Madhu, P Gupta and O P Tandon "Effects of yoga asanas and pranayama in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus" Indian Journal of Traditional Knowledge Vol.3(2), April 2004, pp. 162-167
11. Department of Physiology, University College of Medical Sciences, GTB Hospital, Shahdara, New Delhi "Study of yoga asanas in assessment of pulmonary function in NIDDM patients" PMID: 12613394 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
Acharya Balkrishna is Head, R & D Activities, Divya Yog Mandir Trust, Haridwar; Avnish Upadhyay is Senior Research Scientist, Department Of Ayurved Research & Development, Divya Yog Mandir Trust & Ruchita T Upadhyay is Yog Teacher & Human Resource Personnel, Patanjali Yog Peeth, Haridwar, Haridwar
What are the precautions you should take to keep yourself away from Diabetes?
Yoga & Ayurveda provided right answer to this.
In fact this is the theam of our Best seller e-book "Ayurvedic Cure of Diabetes"
Related Articles :