Surya Namaskar [Sun Salutation] is the most useful and popular mode of yogic exercises which briefly bestows the benefits of the asana, pranayama and mudras together.
It consists of a series of 12 postures and should perform early in the morning facing the rising sun. Surya namaskar energizes the entire neuroglandular and neuromuscular system of the body and its regular practice ensures a balanced supply of oxygenated blood and perfect harmony to all the systems of the body thus involves the entire psychosomatic system of human constitution.
ProcedureSurya namaskar is one of the finest combinations of body movements.
Traditionally, comprising of 12 body positions, where six positions are repeated and 2 cycles complete one round, first with right and then left leg. It is equivalent as a warm up it done prior to the asana session and equally fruitful to balance the body hormone if done by the end of asana session.
All positions are complementary to each other to promote the alternate contraction and expansion of chest cavity and spinal cord and activating the gland and internal organs.
While performing the surya-namsakar the different names of surya 'THE SUN GOD' may be recited. The names or mantras which may he recited are as follows.
- Mitray namah
- Hiranyagarbhay namah
- Ravye namah
- Marichaye namah
- Suryaya namah
- Savitre namah
- Bhanve namah
- Aditayay namah
- Khagay namah
- Bhaskaraya namah
- Pushnave namah
- Arkay namah
Duration 15 minutes to 30 minutes or 2 to 12 rounds everyday.
- 1. Surya-namaskar is a complete exercise to all the muscles and joints of the body.
- 2. Tones all the muscles of the body and reduces fat thereby helping to control obesity and metabolism of the body.
- 3. It strengthens the spine and abdominal muscle to control nervous system and activity of the internal organs.
- 4. Expands the rib-caze, increases the capacity of lungs making the breath smooth and easy.
- 5. Activates the glands and regulates the hormone.
- 6. Encourage the lymph drainage thereby increasing the immunity and resistance of the body.
- 7. It increases the circulation of whole body thereby acting as an excellent cardiac workout to enhance the blood circulation and warming up the body.
- 8. It increases concentration, memory, learning and focusing ability and vigilance.
* Related Articles :