Solutions for back pain1. Stay calm.
2. A complete bed rest for 24 - 48 hrs relieves back pain in most of the instances. Walk a little every few hours to keep the blood flowing and the muscles toned.
3. Applying vata balancing oil like ksheerabala oil on affected region and Naadi sweda (mild steam bath on affected area ) of affected region relives the pain quickly.
See your doctor immediately if you have any of the following symptoms:
- If you are above 50 and sudden onset of severe pain or pain localized to spine .
- Pain due to recent fall or trauma.
- Pain in hip and leg.
- Back pain unrelated to posture.
- Bowel or bladder control problems.
- Numbness in the groin or rectal area.
- Extreme weakness in legs.
- Unsteadiness while walking
- Fever or weight loss accompanying the pain.
- Pain that does not lessen over time even after rest
Prevention of back pain
- Keep the muscles well conditioned by improving sitting, standing, stretching postures. Well-conditioned muscles are less susceptible to injury.
- Never bend at the waist or stoop to pick up an object. Instead, lower the body to the level of the object by bending the knees. Grasp the item, hold it close to the body, and raise yourself with your legs while keeping your back straight.
- Do not lift very heavy objects.
- Whenever possible, prop yourself up.
- Lean against a wall or pillar while waiting for a bus or standing in line at the bank.
- Keep footstools around the house. Alternatively prop up one leg on stool while doing standing chores.
- Sleep on a firm mattress and find a comfortable position.
- Wear low-heeled shoes.
- Standing straight will do wonders for your back.
- Sit on a comfortable chair that supports the curve of lower back.
- While sitting for long hours rest feet on a low stool so that knees are above hips.
- Do not sit or stand in one position for a very long time. Get up periodically and walk for a while.
- Avoid activities which hurt back.
- Do not sit in same position for long hours. It may prove hazardous to back. Take break in between and move around.
- Avoid becoming overweight. Overweight increases the risk of back pain.
Tips for software professionals to avoid back pain:
- Select a correct chair, with a relatively straight back and good lower back support. If the chair doesn't offer lower back support, keep a rolled up towel or cushion to support the back.
- Correctly position the chair, keyboard, and monitor. Feet should be on the floor, with knees at hip level; forearms should form a right angle with upper arms; and the computer terminal should be at eye level.
- Adopt a relaxed, upright working posture and allow the chair to support.
- Avoid slouching forward or leaning back too far.
- When you are at work stand up, walk around, stretch forward, backward, and side to side once in 30 minutes.
- Increased stress and strain enhances the chances of back pain. Hence remember to relax! Yoga and meditation are best techniques to relax
- Eat healthy food which is rich in fiber. Avoid sweets, oil, soft drinks and overeating to reduce the chances of weight gain.
- Sex should be avoided during acute stage of back pain as it exaggerates the condition.
Ayurvedic Home remedy for backacheRemedy Ingredients
Nirgundi leaves (hindi - samhaalu) (Bot- Vitex negundo) (Eng - Five leaved chaste)Karanja leaves ( hindi - Ditauri) (Bot - Pongamia pinnata) (Eng - Indian beech)
Collect fresh leaves of Nirgundi and Karanja. Tie them in a thin cotton cloth to form a big ball . Boil this leaves' ball in water and when it is tolerably hot apply this on affected part. When the leaves become cold reheat them by putting the leaves' ball in boiling water. After half an hour take out the leaves from ball , grind them to a paste and bind it on affected area.
This article is copy righted. The author Dr.SavithaSuri is an Ayurvedic Physician and web master of http://www.ayurhelp.com
* Related Article : Low Back Pain - Ayurvedic Management
* Read more about Ayurvedic Management of Arthritis in our Best seller e-book -'Arthritis Ayurveda and You'