Gout is a type of arthritis that causes inflammation, pain and swelling in the joints. It is caused by high levels of uric acid in the blood, which can form crystals in the joints and trigger inflammation. Gout can affect any joint, but it is more common in the big toe, ankle, knee, elbow and wrist.
According to Ayurveda, Vata Rakta (Gout) is caused by aggravation of Vata and Rakta dosha impurity, which leads to accumulation of toxins (ama) in the body.
Causes of Gout
Excess or daily indulgence in acid foods or fruits,vinegar,alcoholic drinks, stale and rotten foods fried or burnt food preparations,contradictory foods,overeating,sleeping during the day etc. are the aggravating causes of vatarakta (gout).
Ayurvedic treatment of Gout:Avoid causative factors described above.
Treatment of vatarakta contains laxatives,diauretics and antacid along with general treatment of arthritis. Blood letting practice is very effective. Main aim is to reduce the uric acid.
Some of the Useful Ayurvedic Herbs for Gout -
- Triphala- It is a powerful detoxifier and antioxidant that helps to cleanse the blood and remove excess uric acid. Triphala can be taken as a powder, capsule or tablet with warm water before bed.
- Guggulu- It is a resin extracted from the mukul tree. It has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties that help to reduce pain and swelling in the joints. Guggulu also helps to lower cholesterol and triglycerides, which can contribute to gout. Guggulu can be taken as a tablet or capsule with warm water after meals.
- Nirgundi:- It is a herb that has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic and diuretic effects. It helps to relieve joint stiffness and spasms, as well as flush out excess uric acid from the kidneys. Nirgundi can be applied as a paste or oil on the affected joints, or taken as a decoction or infusion with honey.
- Shatavari- Shatavari is a herb that nourishes and strengthens the tissues and organs of the body. Shatavari also has cooling and soothing effects that help to reduce heat and inflammation in the body. Shatavari can be taken as a powder, capsule or tablet with milk or water.
- Ashwagandha- Ashwagandha is a herb that boosts energy, stamina and vitality. It helps to reduce stress, anxiety and depression, which can worsen gout symptoms. Ashwagandha also has anti-inflammatory and immunomodulatory effects that help to protect the joints from damage. Ashwagandha can be taken as a powder, capsule or tablet with milk or water.
Ayurvedic Diet in GoutAyurveda recommends at least 6 month old rice, wheat, moong dhal, and fresh garlic, bitter gourd.
Intake of plenty of water helps ellimination of toxins through urine.
Skip foods and drinks that are high in purines to help lower your chances of an attack.
You should stay away from foods like:
Beer and grain liquors (like vodka and whiskey)
Red meat, lamb, and pork
Organ meats, such as liver, kidneys, and glandular meats like the thymus or pancreas (you may hear them called sweetbreads)
Seafood, especially shellfish like shrimp, lobster, mussels, anchovies, and sardines
High-fructose products like soda and some juices, cereal, ice cream, candy, and fast food
Go for low-purine foods like:
Low-fat and nondairy fat products, such as yogurt and skim milk
Fresh fruits and vegetables
Nuts, peanut butter, and grains
Fat and oil. Use of ghee instead of oil in sauting is recommended.
Potatoes, rice, bread, and pasta
Eggs (in moderation)
Meats like fish, chicken, and red meat are fine in small quantity.
Vegetables: You may see veggies like spinach and asparagus on the high-purine list, but studies show they don’t raise your risk of gout or gout attacks.
Home Remedy – Take equal parts of Giloy, Turmeric, Aamalki, Guggulu, Neem and Khadir. Make tablets the dose being 500 mg thrice a day.
Herbal preparations – Kaishore Guggulu was seen to be quite effective in reducing uric acid. Guduchyadi Quath, Panchtikta Ghrutam. Kanchnar Guggulu, Maharasnadi Quath, Rasnadi Guggulu, Guduchi Tail, Amrutadi Ghrutam etc. are useful.
Read More about Ayurvedic Management of Arthritis including Gout in our Best seller e-book -'Arthritis Ayurveda and You'