Every liquid eg.- Madhu, ghee, etc. which is taken with drug or food or after drug or food intake are called Anupana. Acharya charka said that every lipuid which intake after Ahar (Food) is Anupana but it is only for directional view. Acharya Dalhan also agree with Acharya charka they said that –
Anupana itself has meaning in its name-
Anu- After but Acharya Dalhan said that it is an indication for food.
Pan- Drinkable liquid
In Ayurveda Acharyas did not mention anupana as a part of fun but a deep knowledge of ancient science present behind these theories. Anupana have some specific characters like –
- 1. Just opposite nature to food – ex: - hot nature anupana after cold nature food intake.
- 2. Not opposite to Dhatus – ex: - curd after milk
- 3. Just opposite to Dosas – ex: - in case of kaphaj disease we should take hot anupana.
- 4. Same nature to Medicine – ex: - cold anupana after pitta shamak medicine
- 5. Dependable upon disease and time – ex: - in primary case of fever we should take Usnodak (samehot water). Or liquor is good in Vat rogas in winter season but not in summer.
If we take anupana before food it creates weakness, in the middle of food it does not creates weakness or heaviness and if we take after food it creates heaviness in the body. So we can take anupana according to our requirements.
In Ayurveda best Anupana- Madhu.
According to doshas
- 1. V- Snigdha and Ushna
- 2. P- Madhur and Cold
- 3. K- Ruksha and Ushna
- 4. For week person – Alcohal is very good anupana also good for mandagni, Anidra etc.
- 5. For obese person – Madhu
- 6. Upvas, Marg gaman, exercise, after coming from hot temperature environment in these conditions best anupana is – milk
According to diseases
- 1. Fever - Tulsi leaf swaras , Adrak swaras , madhu, chiraita, sugandha bala, Pitpapda, shading water.
- 2. Chronic fever and cough – Vardhman piplli, sitopladi + Madhu, Ghee, Boiled milk
- 3. Shwas – Vasa juce + Adrak juce + Madhu
- 4. T.B. – Pure shilajatu
- 5. Prameha – Amla ras + Haridra churn.
- 6. Vat rog – Pure gugglu + Lahasun
- 7. Aam vat – Gomutra + castar oil
- 8. Anaemia – Mandoor Bhasm
- 9. Worm – Vidang churna
- 10. Diarrhea – Kutaj twak churna
- 11. Grahni – Takra
- 12. Unmad – old cow ghee
- 13. Khustha - khader and sariva kwatha
- 14. Shvittra – Bakuchi seeds
- 15. Ajirna – Shayan
- 16. Urdvajatrugat rog – Tekshna aushadi nasya
- 17. Pashrva shula – Pushkar mula
- 18. Ashmari – Pashan bhed, kulatha seeds, Varun twak kwatha
- 19. Gulma – Shegrumul twak
- 20. Vidradhi – Raktamokshna
- 21. Swarabhed – Gargal with hot water and salt or pushkarmul kwatha with madhu
- 22. Snehapanajirna – Ushnodak but in case of Bhallatak and Tuvarak snahapan we will take cold water.
- 23. Tail panajirna – Usha and Amla rus and Kngi
- 24. Murcha – Sheet veerya Brahhme and Shankhapushpi and Vacha
- 25. Bhaybheet – Aaswasan
- 26. Vaman – Lajamand with madhu
- 27. NidraKshya – Milk with suger
- 28. Vrana – Guggulu
- 29. Aruchi – Matulungnimbu swaras
- 30. Visharta – Sheresha twak churn and fruit churn
- 31. Udara rog – Verachana drug
- 32. Vat-rakta – Guduchi Ras
- 33. Medorog – Madhu with boiled water
- 34. Pradara – lodhra twak
- 35. Amlapitta – Draksha
- 36. For eyes – Triphla churn
- 37. Bleeding Piles – Negkasor, Amla churn, Ghee, Suger
- 38. Non bleeding Piles – Ghee + Triphala churn
- 39. Raktapitta and raktatisar – Vasa ras, durva ras, Moch ras
- 40. For Hikka – Myurpicchha Bhasma
- 41. For Unmad and Apsmar – Ghee + Brahmi swaras
- 42. Mutra Krichha and Mutraghat – Rice boiled , Gokshur kwatha
- 43. Shotha – Punarnava, Makoya, Bivbe
- 44. Vrishya – Aswagandha, Musali, Koch seeds + Mishri with milk
- 45. Gulm, udar, liver, spleen – Gomutra, Triphla kwath, Kumaryasav with Yavakshar with caster oil.
Contraindications after anupana: - One should avoid study, singing songs, bad rest and walking after anupana because it creates bad effects on doshas.
Now a days we have forgotten the anupana's concepts which can helpful to us to gain good results of medicine in particular disease.
This article is by Dr. Sachin Sharma. He can be contacted at - drs.sharma @ yahoo.co.in