Treatment in Modern medicine
Drug treatments. Tranquilizers called benzodiazepines (e.g. Valium or Librium) are often prescribed to control withdrawal symptoms. These are most common in the first five days after stopping alcohol. An alcohol-sensitizing drug, disulfiram (Ant abuse), produces a physical reaction that includes flushing, nausea and headaches if patient drink. Naltrexone (ReVia or Depade) is a newer drug that blocks the alcohol "high," and reduces the urge to drink. This medication lessens the craving for alcohol and helps prevent relapses
General health improvement. Eating a balanced diet with vitamin supplements and getting regular exercise are important in regaining health.
Complications of alcoholism
Long-term alcohol abuse can have numerous medical complications, including:
- . Liver disorders. Heavy drinking can cause hepatitis, an inflammation of the liver. This may eventually lead to cirrhosis, the progressive and irreversible destruction of liver tissue.
- . Gastrointestinal problems. Alcohol can cause inflammation and erosion of the stomach lining (gastritis). It also interferes with absorption of B vitamins and other nutrients, leading to nutritional deficiencies. Heavy drinking can also cause inflammation and damage to the pancreas (pancreatitis). This hinders production of digestive juices and enzymes, and hormones that help regulate metabolism.
- . Diabetes complications. Alcohol inhibits the release of glucose from the liver and can increase the risk of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). This is dangerous if Patient has diabetes and takes insulin to lower blood sugar level.
- . Cardiovascular problems. Excessive drinking can lead to high blood pressure and heart muscle damage (cardiomyopathy). These conditions increase the risk of heart failure or stroke.
- . Reproductive problems. Alcohol abuse can cause erectile dysfunction and impotence in men. In women, it can interrupt menstruation.
- . Birth defects. Excessive drinking during pregnancy can cause foetal alcohol syndrome. This condition results in birth abnormalities and later developmental disabilities.
- . Neurological complications. Alcohol affects the nervous system and can result in neuropathy (diseases of the nerves) and dementia (impaired brain function).
- . Depression. About one-third of alcoholics also suffer major depression.
- . Increased risk of cancer of the larynx, esophagus, liver and colon.
Vamana is major pradhana karma of Panchakarma therapy for Kaphaja disorder in which expulsion of aggravated or vitiated Doshas/toxic materials through the mouth. In our classical text Vaman karma is indicated in Madatyaya.
Vamana karma in alcohol Abusehas been yielding good results.
In this Clinical study 10 patients of Alcohol abuse are treated by Vaman karma from I.P.D. /O.P.D. of N.I.A, Jaipur
Materials & Methods
Vamak yoga -Madan phala powder 5gm,Vacha 3gm,Saindhav
Lavan 1gm,Honey 20gm
Other Material - Milk- 2 liter, SharkarOdhak -1 liter , Plain Water-1 liter
Alcohol - Type & dose according to patient (approx 650ml),
Snehankarma- Sadhya Snehan is given One day before Vaman karma
Abhayang & Sarvang Sweda is given on the of Vaman karma
1st- Akhant doodhpan (approx 2liter)
2nd- Vamak yoga is given then waits for Vomiting or 48 min.
3rd-A Glass of alcohol with SharkarOdhak & a Glass of alcohol with plain water is given alternately up to Samayak vaman
Padabhayang, Dhoomrapana & Sansarjan karma
Oral medicine - Vistindhuk vati & other Medhya Drugs are advised
- 1.Vaman Karma causes Invidious effect that is why it is more effective
- 2. Carving of alcohol is reduced
- 3.Withdrawl symptoms are less in no.
- 4. Can be repeated in relapsing patients
Dr. Gopesh Mangal - M.D. (Panchakarma); Diploma in Nutrition and Health Education (DNHE), Diploma in Computer Science (DCS), Diploma in Naturopathey & Diploma in Yoga (N.D.D.Y.)
Contact number : 9414268854,9413414656,9928336636, 07462- 220795, 220292
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com
Give up Alcohol - Learn the effects of alcohol on you and how to cut down or give up your drinking- the easy way!