Diabetes mellitus has gained immense notoriety in recent years, as it is fast becoming the world’s biggest silent killer. Despite thousands of people dying each year all over the world due to diabetes mellitus, it is unfortunate that no proper cure for this disease has been discovered yet. The problem with it is that it is very difficult to diagnose in early stages. However, a person sticking to an Ayurvedic preventive strategy right from an early age can easily prevent this disease or control it if already suffering.
If you are one of the many who are looking for a natural, safe, and effective approach to the problem of 'Diabetes’, welcome to the world of Ayurveda!
Although most forms of treatment for diabetes mellitus regard it largely as a dietary disease, Ayurveda differs widely in its outlook. It does not regard diabetes mellitus as a disease that can be treated by mere medicine or by a dietary regimen. The Ayurvedic treatment for diabetes mellitus is primarily based on a person’s lifestyle changes. Along with medication and diet, the patient is also advised to lead a healthy lifestyle and live an active life and even the mental aspects of the disease are stressed. Most ‘vata’ (disorders) originate in the brain, and since ‘Madhu Meha’ is classified as ‘vata’, it is very necessary to keep the brain functioning in its right manner.
Ayurvedic practitioners attack diabetes using a multi-pronged approach. First, they address dietary modification, eliminating sugar and simple carbohydrates, and emphasizing complex carbohydrates. Protein is limited, as an excessive intake of it can damage the kidneys. Fat is also limited because there is often a deficiency of pancreatic enzymes, making fat digestion difficult. Since many diabetics have auto antibodies, a cleansing program is instituted. ‘Panchakarma’ is typically used for this purpose. This begins with an herbal massages and an herbal steam sauna, followed by fasting to cleanse the body. This is followed by an herbal purge for the liver, pancreas, and spleen. Colon therapy is next, first to cleanse the digestive tract and then to reconstitute the system.
Ayurveda is very closely knit with yoga for the treatment and control of diabetes mellitus. Regular practice of yoga does reduce blood sugar levels, the blood pressure, weight, the rate of progression to the complications, and the severity of the complications as well.
For example, the ‘Paschimottasana’ (posing like a ‘Sitting crane’ also called as Amarntha kokkuasana), is highly recommended for patients of ‘Madhu Meha’. In this manner, Ayurveda is not restricted in its treatment of diabetes, but takes a much broader perspective.
Exercises like ‘Pranayama’ (breathing exercises), meditation, and poses enhance digestion and help the pancreas and liver function more normally, regulating blood sugar levels which in combination with a healthy diet is one of the best one can do to control this ailment.
Diabetes v/s ExerciseExercise burns calories, which helps in reducing weight and maintains a healthy weight. Regular exercise helps body to respond to insulin and helps in managing blood glucose level. Exercising also improves blood circulation, especially in arms and legs, where people with diabetes can have problems. It also helps reduce stress, which can raise the glucose level.
With some people, exercise combined with a meal plan, can control Type 2 Diabetes without need for medications.
Diabetics And Home Remedies:
- Indian gooseberry juice (fresh) 10ml and 2 grams, pure turmeric powder mixed well and consumed twice a day effectively maintains the sugar level and imparts many side benefits like strength and vitality.
- Bitter gourd also possesses well-marked anti-diabetic activity - Fresh juice of two Bitter gourds (approximately 20ml) should be taken on an empty stomach in the early morning daily. The regular practice of this gives enormous benefits to the diabetics.
- Fenugreek seeds are effective in controlling diabetes. It is found to be effective in lowering the serum cholesterol and triglycerides apart from sugar.
- Black berry is another home remedy for diabetes. It is extensively used in Ayurveda and other systems of medicine - its bark, fruits, and seeds are useful. The inner bark of the Black Berry tree is used in the treatment.
- Unboiled milk mixed with equal quantity of water taken early in the morning on empty stomach gives very good result.
- Juice of Asparagus mixed with equal quantity of milk taken once daily is very helpful in controlling sugar level in blood.
We may conclude by telling that a diabetic person needs to exercise regularly, cut down on white sugar, reduce weight if obese, and try some natural herbs. A combination of the above treatment and lifestyle change can work wonders. Try it!
Article Source: http://www.americanchronicle.com/
Related Ebook : What are the simple dietary and lifestyle changes that are helpful in combating this dreaded disease - Diabetes ??
Ayurveda provides right answer to this.
In fact this is the theam of our Best seller e-book "Ayurvedic Cure of Diabetes"
You can submit your Health related article for inclusion on this site.
Add Your Article on this site!