In Ayurveda Disease is called 'Vyadhi'. It is the state of body and mind in which they are subjected to discomfort, pain and injury. The fundamental cause is imbalance of the three doshas - Vata, Pitta and kapha. The state of balance or equilibrium between these three doshas in the body is called health and the state of imbalance or disequilibrium is disease.
The imbalance may be due to an increase or decrease in one, two or all the three doshas.
Classification of diseases:-
It is done in various ways in Ayurveda.
1. According to the trauma (abhigaata)
- Adhyatmika: physical and psychic type, constitutional
- Adhibhautika: caused by environment
- Aadhidaivika: caused by gods or spirits
2. Practical classification useful for disease treatment
- Aadi- bala pravritta : Genetically predisposed
- Janma- bala : Congenital
- Dosha -bala : caused by imbalances in Vata, Pitta, Kapha.
- Sanghata-bala : Traumatic
- Kala - bala : Seasonal, time linked
- Daiva -bala : Gods or demons
- Svabhava -ball : natural changes