Generally everyone likes rose flower, hence termed king of flowers. IF you wish to communicate your love to someone, simply offer a rose flower.
Gulkand, a general tonic of Ayurveda, is undoubtedly the most delicious Ayurvedic preparation known to mankind. It is also naturally rich in calcium and has antioxidant activity. It can be used year-round by persons of all constitutions.
Gulkand Recipe:Rose petals are used in making `Gulkand'. In a wide mouthed glass jar, arrange the layers of rose petals and sugar alternately using sugar twice the weight of petals. Close the mouth of jar and keep it in sunlight daily 10 AM to 4 PM, for three to four weeks and Gulkand becomes ready. The time varies depending on sunlight availability, season etc.
One can add silver foil, Praval Pishti, Cardamom seeds, Pearl Pishti (Muktapishti) etc. to increase the cooling or pitta pacifying properties.
Gulkand Benefits/ Uses of Gulkand :
- Gulkand has been traditionally used as a cooling tonic to combat fatigue, lethargy, muscular aches, biliousness, itching, and heat-related conditions.
- For those who do not know pulse reading, simply observe the color of the underclothes. If slight yellowish tinge is seen, Pitta exists. For people with yellowish foul smelling sweat from armpits, there exists pitta dosha in blood. This gets corrected by Gulkand.
- Gulkand is highly useful in problems
like Heavy menstrual discharge, white discharge in women. The
medicines for these problems are generally given with Gulkand.
It's aroma helps secretion of Oxytocin, the love harmone. Hence the
flower is associated with heart. It increases `Sadhak Pitta', the
constituent of the blood which strengthens heart, emotions, motherly
- Nose-bleeding, hemorrage, vomitting of blood and or bitter-sour pitta, excess menstrual discharge, frequent abortions etc are the indications wherein Gulkand gives excellent cooling. The rose has special properties. It is sweet, cool, pungent and yet slight bitter. After digestion it produces sweet (Vipak) juice due to which it shows very benificial effect on intestines, improving digestion and metabolism. In many cases, when pimples arise due to heat in the blood, the use of Gulknad removes the heat from the intestines. This removes pimples and old blemishes.
- Rose is easy to digest, due to its sweet, pungent and bitter tastes, it has certain benificial effect as heart tonic. Its association with heart is already mentioned.
- For children having worms in intestines, an ayurvedic powder `Vidanga' or `Vavding' is mixed in Gulkand and given to destroy the worms in a fortnight. Dose is 1 tsp twice a day for fortnight.
- Gulkand gives cool feeling to nerves. In todays world filled with stress and strain at every point, it is a good tonic for central nervous system as well as liver. It pacifies pitta in blood, reduces constipation and strengthens all seven dhatus of the body, as per Charak Sanhita.
- Gulkand also helps reducing hyperacidity. The heat in the Gastro canal, duodenum is removed by Gulkand. In swelling and ulcer of intestines, the acidity shows up in blackish blemishes on forehead, face, blackish circles around eyes, loss of hair etc.
- Ayurveda describes rose as "Vrishya" meaning strengthening the semen. When semen has less sperms or sperms are getting weakened due to vaginal acidity, such couples will get benefits due to Gulkand.