Are you feeling scratchy throat? Are you facing difficulty in swallowing? It means you are suffering from a throat infection. This is the right place where you will know herbal remedies for throat infection to reduce this unpleasant feeling. Pain in the throat, sore throat, cough, and swollen lymph nodes are the main symptoms of throat infection.
Causes of Throat Infection
Main reasons for throat infection are
Bacteria or viruses
Scratched throat can be a result of eating or drinking too cold.
Throat infection is not a severe condition but if not treated on time then it can lead to further problems. You can use number of natural remedies that can cure throat infection.
Ayurvedic Cure for Throat Infection
- Green tea - Boil a cup of water and add a teaspoon of green tea into it. Let it boil for 10 minutes. Stain it and then drink the tea three to four times a day. Green tea contains infection-fighting capabilities to fight against pathogens like bacteria and viruses that cause infection.
- Lemon and black tea - Brew black tea and add a half teaspoon of juice into it. Then add a pinch of salt into the solution and then drink this hot tea three to four times a day. With lemon’s antioxidant properties, it will remove all the harmful free radicals from your body and can help you in getting relief from throat infections.
- Honey - Honey is a natural ingredient that can be used to cure a sore throat. It contains great wound healing properties that are very effective in healing wounds. Other than this, according to a study, honey is great in curing nighttime coughs and sore throat.
- Gargling with salt water is the Best Ayurvedic treatment of throat infection.- It helps you in curing sore throat as well as helps you in soothing throat infections. Gargling using salt water kills pathogens such as bad bacteria that cause throat infections.
Boil a glass of water, add a half teaspoon of salt into it to prepare the solution for gargling. It keeps your throat clean as well as helps you in reducing swelling. You can gargle after every three hours to get significant results in a single day.
- Peppermint - For freshen breath, peppermint is great. Peppermint oil sprays can be helpful in relieving sore throats. It contains methanol that can thin the mucus and cleans your throat. With its anti-oxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, it is great in healing.
- Turmeric - Heat a teaspoon of ghee and add a teaspoon of turmeric powder into it. Mix the turmeric powder into the ghee. Prepare a ball and swallow it. Consume the ball with a glass of hot milk before going to bed. It offers quicker results for throat infections.
- Apple cider vinegar - Apple cider vinegar is acidic in nature. It can kill the bad bacteria from your throat. It reduces the build-up mucus from your throat. You can also gargle using apple cider vinegar. You can add one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar into an herbal tea and can consume it.
- Suck on garlic - Garlic contains allicin that can kill the bacteria and can fight against bad bacteria and viruses. Now, you have to suck it like candy by placing a clove of garlic in between your teeth and cheek. You can crush it gently to do the magic. It is best to stay away from dairy milk, yogurt, and fermented foods to get rid of throat infection.
Author,Satnam Singh, is a health practitioner in Arogyam Allergy Centre. He is an herbalist and naturopath who is the founder and CEO of 6 Ayurvedic hospitals in Northern India. He leads a team of highly qualified and Ayurvedic doctors.