Ayurveda, an ancient Indian medical science has documented various methods by which you can restore the whiteness of teeth. This article covers these methods along with few other tips and pointers.
Herbs Effective in Whitening of Teeth:
- Babul (Acacia arabica): There are no words to describe the usefulness of babul in whitening of teeth. Due to its benefit, Ayurveda stresses the importance of using the twigs of the babul as disposable toothbrushes. The tannin found in babul makes the teeth whiter.
- Banyan (Ficus religiosa): The aerial roots of the banyan also make good disposable toothbrushes. The banyan roots are astringent that not only increase the whiteness of the teeth but also improve the health of the teeth and gums.
- Holy Basil (Ocimum sanctum): Dry the leaves of the holy basil, powder them and use it for brushing teeth. The leaves improve the dental hygiene and increase the whiteness of the teeth. Besides the whitening features, holy basil also offers protection against dental problems like pyorrhea (bleeding of gums).
- Neem (Azadirachtha indica): The neem tree, is a traditional remedy to get white healthy teeth. Neem twigs are still used by many Indians as toothbrushes. Neem oils possess astringent and antiseptic properties to prevent bad breath, destroy microorganisms present in the teeth and to fight dental caries and cavities.
Dietary Methods for Whitening of TeethFor clean and white teeth, pungent, bitter and astringent foods must form a regular part of diet. These tastes have a sharp effect on the teeth, thus keeping them clean. They also prevent excess buildup of plaque on the teeth as plaque can make teeth lose their whiteness.
Sugary foods of any type, including chocolates are harmful for the teeth. But if you do eat these foods, wash your mouth properly with strong gargles to prevent any sweet remnant in the mouth.
Restrict the intake of excess tea and coffee. These beverages have strong alkaloids that can stain the teeth. Same holds true for smoking. Nearly all the smokes will lose the whiteness of teeth. Similarly chewing the paan (betel leaf), is also harmful for the whiteness of the teeth. It can stain the teeth in cream, yellow or shade of rust brown colors.
Ayurvedic Methods for Whitening of TeethAyurveda offers various types of toothpastes and toothbrushes for getting white healthy teeth. One of them is toothpaste produced by mixing a paste of holy basil leaves with mustard oil. The Neem and Babul twigs can be used as toothbrushes. They are rubbed strongly on the teeth (at times with charcoal) to clear all accumulated plaque on the teeth and increase their whiteness.
Home Remedies for Whitening of Teeth:
- To bring back the whiteness of the teeth, mix charcoal of Babul wood, roasted alum and some rock salt. Rub it on the teeth in place of regular toothpaste. You will get white and long-lasting healthy teeth.
- Use sodium bicarbonate daily as a tooth powder instead of toothpaste. Sodium bicarbonate restores the depleted mineral content of the teeth, thus helping them to regain their whiteness.
- Strawberries, tomatoes and Amalaki are great sources of vitamin C. Apply them directly on the teeth. Vitamin C clears the plaque from the teeth, thereby increasing their whiteness.
- Rub an orange peel on the teeth at night prior to sleeping. The vitamin C of the orange peel will fight the microorganisms throughout the night.
- Follow good dental practices. Brush your teeth after each meal, or at least in the morning and at night. When brushing your teeth, ensure you remove all food particles lodged between the teeth. This is the most natural method of keeping your teeth white and healthy.
Related Article : Teeth and Gum Care in Ayurveda