What is infertility ?
Incapability of the woman to conceive, after one year of regular sexual union without contraceptives, or to retain the fetus till childbirth is called as infertility. It is a problem, which not only affects the physical life of the woman but also disturbs the social and emotional life of the couple. According to some experts about half the childless marriages are due to abnormalities in the male partners though women are traditionally blamed for sterility.Infertility is also assigned to factors relating to non production of sperms or to other reasons relating to quality.
Factors Involved in Creating a Healthy Child
According to Ayurveda, conception takes place due to healthy sperm, healthy ovum, and a healthy uterus. For both men and women, reproductive health depends on the health of the shukra dhatu, or reproductive tissue. In women the shukra tissue creates the ovum as part of the monthly cycle, and in men the semen is formed due to sexual stimulation.
The shukra tissue itself is created as part of a long chain of metabolic transformations, starting with the digestion of food and including the transformation of food to nutrient fluid, blood, muscle, fat, bone, bone marrow and finally, to shukra tissue. Healthy shukra tissue, then, according to ayurveda, depends on the health of all the other tissues in the body.
causes of infertility :
- Problems with infertility can arise when nutrition does not reach the reproductive tissue; this can happen due to under nutrition, poor digestion or obstruction due to toxins.
- Having sex by compulsion with a person whom you do not like.
- Eating spicy, salty and hot food increase pitta and destroys shukra (semen).
- Overindulgence in sexual activities leads to shukra kshaya. It may lead to clibya (impotency).
- By controlling sexual urges for longer duration leads to veeryaavarodha (Obstruction of semen) and this leads to decreased libido.
- Infertility can also arise when the reproductive tissue is damaged by infection or trauma.
- Some acquire the impotency by birth
General Guidelines for Infertility Treatment:
- Determine the Constitution of both the partners
- Clear any obstructions or blockages
- Tonify any weaknesses
- Ensure that the digestive fire is strong
- Ensure that the nervous system is relaxed
- Being loving and loved is the best tonic for fertility