Bleeding from inside the nose is a complaint presenting as an emergency. Usually we don't have any time to investigate the cause; we need to treat it immediately.
Bleeding from the nose (naasagata rakta pitta) is a common problem faced by many during the summer. Summer months are dry and hot. The low humidity is enough to dry the protective coating of mucus that covers the inside of your nasal cavity. Once the protective mucus is gone your nasal cavity is prone to dryness that can cause bleeding. The heat has a similar effect as well. Summers may also aggravate allergies. The allergic reaction can be a cause behind nose bleeds. A nosebleed occurs when the membranes lining the inner nose are disturbed or irritated enough to breakdown and cause abnormal bleeding.
Common Causes for Nosebleeds
Injury and trauma to the nasal area is one of the main causes of nosebleeds. It can also appear as a symptom of other diseases and health issues. Some health problems that cause nosebleeds are as follows:
- Prolonged exposure to excessive dry heatNosebleeds
- Sinus infection in the nasal cavity
- Nasal surgery
- Foreign particles stuck in the nasal passage
- Excessive sneezing or repeated blowing of nose in a vigorous manner
- Allergic rhinitis
- Vascular formation in the nasal passage
- Formation of tumor/ polyps in the nasal passage
- High blood pressure
- Exposure to irritants like ammonia
- Common cold
- Overuse of nasal sprays
- Sudden change in altitude
Effective Remedies for Epistaxis/Nosebleeds:
- DRINK COOL WATER - This alone will stop many nosebleeds.
- USE A COLD COMPRESS . Dip a handkerchief or any clean soft cloth into cold water, and place it on the forehead and the nose. Then gently blow the nose so that the clot, if there is one, comes out.
- SQUEEZE YOUR NOSE - If the cold water doesn’t stop the bleeding, then pinch the nose with your thumb and index finger, as if you were about to dip under water. Hold for 2 or 3 minutes, breathing normally through the mouth. That should stop the bleeding.
- GHEE OINTMENT - If the bleeding still doesn’t stop, another simple remedy is to put a couple of drops of lukewarm ghee in each nostril. Dip a cotton swab into a jar of ghee, and apply it to the nose. Ghee is hemostatic so it will stop the bleeding.
- HUMIDIFY YOUR SURROUNDINGS - Many nosebleeds are due to a dry nose, caused by hot, dry air. So as a preventive measure in dry climates or in winter when heating the house can create a lot of dry air, be sure to humidify your bedroom, workroom, or the entire living space. It is better not to use an ultrasound humidifier; a hot water unit is best.
- HERBAL REMEDY - Orally, take a mixture of:manjistha 1/4 teaspoon + kama dudha 1/8 teaspoon Take this mixture with a little warm water twice a day.
- USE OF JUICE - To stop or prevent nosebleeds, you can drink cranberry juice, pomegranate
juice, or a half-half mixture of the two.
POMEGRANATE NOSE DROPS . When making the pomegranate juice, if you pick up a few drops of the fresh juice in an eyedropper and place them in your nostrils, it should instantaneously stop the bleeding.
Diet for Nosebleeds:Follow the Pitta-pacifying diet . According to Ayurvedic principles, even though nosebleed has some vata symptoms, such as dryness and cracking of the nasal passages, it is essentially a pitta disorder, in which pitta becomes hot and sharp and causes the bleeding. So when you have a nosebleed, don't eat hot and spicy foods, abstain from alcohol and smoking, and don't work under the hot sun. These are all pitta-provoking.
PREVENTION OF NOSEBLEEDS-
GULKAND or rose petal jam is a delicious Indian delicacy. It is an Ayurvedic medicine also. To avoid a bloody nose, take one teaspoonful of Gulkand every day. AMLAKI (Indian Gooseberry) is very rich in Vitamin C, Calcium and Iron. The murabba or juice of amla prepared at home can be taken daily morning with water to make way from nose bleeding. CAUTION - If, after trying these remedies, your nose is still bleeding, or if you have repeated nosebleeds over a couple of weeks, see your doctor. You may have a serious health problem or blood disorder. The bleeding may be due to high blood pressure, which needs to be cared for.