Dengue fever is a disease caused by number of viruses. These viruses spread by the bite of mosquitoes and are transmitted to the human body. The disease is very common in tropical and subtropical areas of the world. Dengue fever has increased in frequency recently. This increase is believed to be due to a combination of urbanization, population growth, increased international travel, and global warming.
When a mosquito carrying dengue fever virus bites a healthy human, the virus travels in the blood stream and then starts multiplying itself in the whole body. Dengue fever is not contagious, which means one person cannot pass it directly to another.The main virus causing dengue fever is carried by a mosquito named "Aedes aegypti" which transmits the virus to humans through its bite.
symptoms of Dengue Fever
- Dengue fever usually starts suddenly with a rapidly climbing high fever.
- Severe headaches.
- Retro-orbital pain behind the eye.
- Nausea & vomiting.
- Loss of appetite.
- Rashes develop on the feet or legs 3 to 4 days after the beginning of the fever.
- Swelling and pain in muscles and joints.
Major Indication For Dengue FeverDengue virus destroyes the body's capacity to produvce new platelets during the period it is effective. The platelate count for a normal person varies from 1.5 Lakh - 2.5 Lakh per unit volume. On getting infected the patients platelete count starts falling.Platelet count below 1.O Lakh /volume is alarming - immediate medical attention is required.
Dengue Ayurvedic View PointIn Ayurveda, dengue is known as dandaka jvara. Although there is no specific treatment for disease, Ayurveda stresses on strengthening immune system of the body and keeping a control on fever.
Ayurvedic Treatments for Dengue FeverHere are some treatment options that can enhance the cure of dengue fever -
1) Mix 360 mg of Shunthi Churna with 125 mg of Hinguleshwar and now take this mixture at least 4 times daily, you may take with tea or hot water. If case the temperature of the patient rises beyond 104°F (40°C), then you may apply cold pad, on the forehead till the temperature subsides.
2) Another Ayurvedic medicine used for treatment of dengue fever is Tulsi (holy basil). The leaves of tulsi are used to produce soothing effect on the nervous system. Tulsi leaves strengthen the stomach and induce copious tulasi in water and drink this water throughout the day to build up immune system.10-15 basil leaves should be chewed twice a day,
3) Papaya leaves juice is a natural remedy for dengue fever. Squeeze and pound two pieces of raw papaya leaves with a filter clothes. Do not boil, cook it with hot water. A patient could take two tablespoon per serving daily. To increase the blood count pomegranate juice/black grape juice should be given.
4) Fenugreek Leaves are known to reduce fever and act as a sedative to ease pain and promote more restful sleep for patients. You can soak the leaves in water and then drink it or you can get methi powder and mix it with water and have it.
5)Amrutharista, Guduchi Satva (sat giloy) , Amrutottaram kashayam, Sudarsana vati,Pachanamrutham kashayam can be given for treatment.