Kidney stones are mineral crystals that form in the kidneys and can block a section of the urinary tract, One in ten Indians will have a kidney stone in their lifetime, and there are nearly half a million people seeking hospital emergency care for kidney stones-each year!
Diets high in sodium, processed sugars and processed animal products are a cause for kidney stone formation. Bad food choices are a primary reason for the development of kidney stones. You should avoid eating Bhindi or okra, Spinach and Rhubarb if you have kidney stones.
Natural Herbal Remedies for Kidney Stone
There are a number of natural remedies that work wonders on kidney stones, and also will help to prevent them.
- First and foremost is pomegranate juice. It is one of the most effective remedies for kidney stone. Pomegranate juice has astringent properties and these help in kidney stone busting.
- Dandelion root (Taraxacum officinale) is an excellent kidney tonic and overall kidney cleanser. Dandelion root comes in extract form as well as tea, tablet, and capsule form.
- Magnesium is a hidden kidney stone remedy. Magnesium is needed for nearly every process in the body. Studies have shown that magnesium may be a useful remedy for kidney stones. In fact, one particular study found that magnesium supplementation caused over 92 per cent improvement rate in the reduction of kidney stones.
- Basil ( Tulsi) is one of nature's finest kidney cleanser. Basil serves as an excellent all natural way to cleanse the kidney. Basil tea, in particular, has been shown to be an excellent kidney toner for overall kidney health.
- The herb Phyllanthus niruri has been shown to inhibit calcium oxalate crystals. Its common name literally translates to "stone breaker." It is a widespread tropical plant commonly found in coastal areas. It has been investigated for its potential medicinal benefits, especially in terms of blocking kidney stone formation.
Hindi name for Phyllanthus niruri is Bhuiamla, Bahupatra, Bhumiamalaki . This medicinal herb has been found to inhibit the formation of the calcium oxalate crystals, and there is a possibility that this herb may be able to help break up already existing stones. Read More about Bhuiamla.
Home remedies Remedies for Kidney Stone
- Drink Barley water, Lemon water, Buttermilk ,Coconut water , Pumpkin soup, Sweet lime juice (not in excess)
- Consume sugarcane- Mix green cardamom with a little sugarcane juice, Drink twice a day empty stomach.Take Tulsi seeds with sugarcane and milk.You can also take Take Cumin seeds, sugarcane, and honey.
- Take some watermelon ,preferably eat the fruit.
- Include amla powder in food
Dos and Don’ts for Kidney Stones-- Drink enough water. Eat fruits with high water content
-- Urinate on time
-- Cleanse the bowel by drinking warm water early in the morning
-- Regularly practice yoga poses, meditation, pranayama.
-- Avoid liquor consumption, aerated drinks.
-- Avoid holding the urges.
-- Avoid tomatoes, brinjal, chikku, too many bananas, dairy products, maida food.
-- Avoid sedentary lifestyle / too much exercise.
There are many such natural herbal remedies for kidney stones, but they must not be tried without expert medical supervision.