Book Review -
Title – Approach & Update To Vastushastra In Ayurveda, Author – Dr. Subhash D. Waghe
Publisher – Rashtra Gaurav Publications, Nagpur (Contact – +91-7038000648)-Price – Rs. 280/-
Reviewer – Dr. KSR Prasad (Principal – National Ayurveda College Hisar, Haryana)
The science dealing with the construction of home, temples, gardens, forts, administrative buildings etc is called as the Vastu Shastra. The ancient Vastu Shastra believes in utilizing the solar energy in congruence with Panchamahabhutas for the benefit of mankind. It not only aims for the physical construction of a building but ensures the peace, prosperity, longevity of the home dwellers through proper arrangement of different rooms for different purposes in a home.
In Indian culture, there is arrangement of four types of life phases (Chaturvidh Varnashram) which everyone must go in lifetime. While going through these phases of life, one has to accomplish the four aims and objectives of life (Chaturvidh Purshartha) i.e. Dharma (performing the duties of life), Artha (earning the money), Kama (attaining the sexual gratification and producing the progeny), Moksha (withdrawing from all physical desires and attaining the highest level of spirituality). Out of the four above said Varnashramas, Grihastha Ashrama is one of the important landmark in individual’s life.
Ayurveda had incorporated lot of Vastushastriya concepts like Bhumi Chayanam, Shalya Shodhanam, Dwar Nirnayam, Disha Nirnayam, Plava Nirdharanam, Kashtha Chayanam, etc to ensure the positive outcome. There used to be the ‘Vastu Visharada’ (Civil architects and engineers) in ancient time as clearly indicated in Ayurvedic books while mentioning the construction of Prasawagara (labour room), Kumaragara (Paediatric ward), Rasayan Kuti (Rejuvenating room), Rasashala (Pharmacy).
In the present book called ‘Vastushastra In Ayurveda’, Author has explored these Vastushastriya concepts very well. Bhumi Chayanam (land selection) theorem is taken from Sushrut Samhita. Different types of lands and its beneficial effects with respect to different classes of the society is in accordance with the doctrines of ancient Vastushastra. The principles of land selection given by acharya Varahamihira are also discussed on logical basis. Shalya Shodhana (Clearing the land of internal unwanted debris) is invariably mentioned in all Ayurvedic books while constructing any Vastu. The internal debris like bones etc and its future effect on building is well described using Vastushastra principles by Dr. Subhash waghe. About Dwar Nirnaya (Door direction) almost all the Ayurvedic acharyas are of the view that it should be either east or north facing. Disha Nirnay (Direction decision) is concept is very well described using the Ayurvedic book Raj Nighantu and tool given in Vastushastra books. The concept of eight directional movement of Sun with their names given by acharya Arundutta while commenting on Dipta Disha in Ashtang Samgraha book, is also well explored using Vastushastra principles of directions and its importance. The Vastumandala concept is very well traced in Graha snana prakrarna of Ashtang samgraha uttar tantra book. Finally, the different types of woods and its importance in building the home is also discussed at deeper length. The amenities required in hospital (Rugnalayeen Vastu) Paediatric ward (Kumaragara), Maternity homes (Prasavagara), Surgical ward (Vranitagara) etc are mesmerizing and shows the meticulous planning of all buildings in ancient times. The same can be witnessed even today. Author has taken enormous efforts in exploring the ancient Vastushastra in Ayurveda and succeeded to the larger extent. I wish him all the success in all his future endeavours. Viewers may find this book indispensable.
IAA news in India
- 1)Prof. Dr. Subhash Ranade and Dr. Sunanda Ranade were honored by Dr. Dilip Puranik for their prestigious awards, including the titles of Global Ambassadors of Ayurveda and Ayurveda Brahmarshi. This recognition took place at Rashtriya Shikshan Mandal in Pune on 01/10/2023.
- 2)Dr. Gunvant Yeola delivered a keynote address at the AyurNima National Conference on Recent Updates in Ayurveda in Nagpur on October 1, 2023.
- 3)During the 7th National Ayurved Seminar in Pune, Prof. Dr. Subhash Ranade and Dr. Sunanda Ranade were honored by Shri Anandnath Maharaj in the presence of several dignitaries, including Prof. Bhushan Patwardhan, at Vishwa Vyakhanmala.
- 4)On October 13, 2023, Dr. Shilpa Thorat gave a lecture on women's health to Women's Prison Officers and staff at Yerwada Women Prison in Pune on 13/10/2023.
- 5)Dr. Supriya Gugale successfully organized a 9-day online program, 'Damini – Sundar Me Honar,' during the auspicious days of Navaratri.Sundar me honar’ in auspiscious days of Navaratri, 15 – 24/10/2023.
- 6)Dr. K. K. Pandye had presented a paper as a member of the presidium at the 3rd World Health Congress in 2023, which took place in Prague from September 15th to 17th, as part of the Traditional, Complementary, and Integrative Medicine event.
IAA activities abroad - -
- 1) The International Academy of Ayurveda has entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with International Ayurveda Ecology, S.L, located in Barcelona, Spain, to collaborate on Ayurveda propagation activities.
- 2) Dr. Abhijeet Shirkande and Dr. Ankita Shirkande, representing IAA, have been assigned to conduct a series of seminars and workshops in Brazil. These events took place at Suddha Dharma Madalam-affiliated centers across different states in Brazil from 16/09/2023 – 16/10/2023.
- 3) In September, Dr. Anupama Dharashive hosted a group of students from Japan who had a keen interest in learning about Ayurveda and undergoing Panchkarma therapy. The educational sessions and Panchakarma procedures were conducted at the Tanman Ayurvedic Resort in Bhukum, Pune, as part of the Japan September 2023 Retreat.