Modern medicine people,In the past, used to assume that impotence is primarily a psychological problem, but many therapists and physicians today have realised that the majority of all cases of impotence have some physical basis also.
Vajikaran basically comprises of three components -
1] a disciplined life style
2] conditional sexual act basing itself upon the assumption that sex is for better reproduction and not only for pleasure, and
3] the use of vajikaran drugs (aphrodisiac medicinal formulations) to achieve these sexual goals.
Vajikaran doesn't contradict the abstaining from sex i.e. the brahmacharya but believes that sex is a means to procreation thus vajikaran serves the purpose of 'Purushartha Chatushtaya'( Dharma , Artha ,Kama and Moksha) by helping to procreate sustainable species.
Useful Herbs for Vajikarana :
Aphrodisiac for men according to the texts have been divided into five categories.
- Promoting production of semen: (milk, ghee, onion vidari, musali, gokshura, shatavari, yashtimadhu and semen from various other animals).
- Purifying action on semen: (kushtha, sugar cane, bayberry).
- Promoting fertilization capacity in semen: (brahmi, shatavari, katuka, guduchi, amalaki, bala.
- Herbs that increase libido: (akarakarabh, saffron, clove, garlic, pippali).
- Tonics to combat premature ejaculation: (nutmeg, ashwagandha, chandhan, jatamansi, kapikachchu).
The botanical names for some of the herbs:
1. Onion: Latin Name-- Alluim Cepa, Family -- Liliaceae
2. Shatavari: Latin Name -- Asparagus Racemosus, Family -- Liliaceae
3. Kapikachchu: Latin Name Mucuna Pruriens, Family-- Leguminosae
4. Bala: Latin Name Sida cordifolia, Family -- Malvaceae
5. Aswagandha: Latin Name Withania Somnifera, Family -- Solanaceae
6. Chopchini: Latin Name-- Smilax China, family liliaceae
7. Gokshur: Latin Name --Tribulus Terrestris, family -- zygophyllaceae
8. Yashtimadhu: Latin Name Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Family Leguminosae
9. Nutmeg: Latin Name Myriastica Fragrans, Family Name-- Myristicaceae
10. Pippali: Latin Name-- Piper Longum, Family Name ?Piperaceae
11. Guduchi: Latin Name Tinospora cordifolia, Family Name-- Menispermaceae
12. Aaakarkarabh: Latin Name Anacyclus Pyrethrum, Famiy Name -- Compositae
13. Shwet Musali: Latin Name Asparagus Adscendens, Family Name Liliaceae
Useful Herbal Compounds :
"Makardhwaja Gold"- Main Ingredients - parad, Gandhak, Suvarna bhasma.Indications - Aphrodisiac, Sex tonic
Main Ingredients :- Purified Hingul (Cinnabar), Bastand (Testis of Aries), Ashwagandha, Kavach Beej, Myristica, Saffron, Camphor.
Properties - 'Vrishavati' is formulated as a male reproductive system stimulant. 'Vrishyavati' is useful in male infertility, impotency, loss of libido and other reproductive disorders. The ingredients such as Ashwagandha, Kavachbeej help to improve sexual functions while bastand improves quality and quantity of semen.
Shatavari Kalpa - Shatavari is perhaps best known as a female rejuvanitive. It is useful for infertility and decreased libido.