Ayurvedic Management of Tinnitus
As tinnitus is a vata disorder the Vata balancing therapies and herbs are beneficial.
Vata influences the movement of thoughts, feelings, prana flows, nerve impulses, and fluids in the body. Hence Vata balancing Food Plan is recommended.
Breakfast is usually desirable.Use hot cereals such as cream of rice or wheat or any other breakfast that is warm, milky, and sweet.
Take warm food, moderately heavy in texture, add butter and fat. sweet and sour tastes are diserable.
Reduce dry foods and bitter tastes. Use warm or hot water and drinks. Raw nuts and nut butters.
Useful Spices: cinnamon, cardamom, cumin, ginger, cloves in moderation.
Green Gram Khichri is the best balanced food during dinner, and has easily digestible proteins in addition carbodydrates and fibres. This will take care of indigestion and constipation.
Consumption of caffeine, nicotine, or cocaine can disturb the prana vayu leading to tinnitus hence avoid it.
Panchakarma for Tinnitus
- Nasya: Vacha (Acorus calamus) oil nasya, has a powerful effect in calming and balancing the Prana vayu. A preparation of sesame oil medicated with calamus root is taken nasally, five drops per nostril, at night and in the morning. The nasya should be warmed to blood heat before administration. nasya helps to nourish the senses to eliminate excess vata from senses.
- Abhyanga :(Massage) Shiroabhyanga(head massage) and padabhyanga(Foot massage), wherein the soles of the feet are massaged with warm sesame oil, has a specific effect in calming the prana vayu. At bedtime, warm sesame oil should be applied to the soles of the feet and also to the scalp. This treatment rapidly normalizes the prana vayu.
- Karnapooran:(Ear drops)To calm the vata in the ears, ten drops of warm sesame oil is applied daily to each ear. The oil is allowed to remain in the first ear for five or ten minutes, then that ear is cleaned, and the same procedure is followed with the other ear, with the patient lying on the other side. Typically, this treatment should alleviate tinnitus, and most other symptoms of prana vayu disturbance, within eight to ten days.Bilwadi tail,Apamargkshar tail,Dashmool tail can be used for Karnpooran.
- Kawala & Gandush: Gargling of medicated oils or certain liquids/Kwath is Kawala.It strengthens the nerves of eyes and ears and also pacifies aggravated vata.Gandush is Withholding medicated oils or certain liquids in the mouth for a certain period of time
Ayurvedic Herbs and Formulations useful in Tinnitus
Ashwagandha,Jatamansi,Dashmool ,Rasna are the useful herbs.
Ashwagandha herbal preparations can be used. Simplest way is to take "Aswagandha ghana" 1- 2 tab. along with 1 cup of warm milk preferably taken at bed time along with a little sugar and cardamom powder mixed, so that resulting sound sleep will reduce Vata dosha. Aswagandha has certain chemicals which cause increase of serotonin, a sleep inducing hormone. Dinner should consist of more proportion of carbohydrates which also cause increase of serotonin. Aswagandharishtam also can be taken instead, 15 ml with equal water. Being an arishtam, take it after dinner rather than at bedtime. This relaxation to cranial nerves reduces the ringing caused by Tinnitus.
Vata is always tamed by oils. There are various oils directed at
ringing and some other problems of the ear. Useful oils
are "Bilva Tailam","Amrut Bindu" and "Kshar Tailam", to be dropped 2 drops in ear
at bed time and early morning. They can be applied to insides by
using cotton bud. Another oil recipe which can be prepared at home
consists of ginger powder, Saindhav salt and honey mixed to a fine
paste and boiled in sesame oil on low heat till all moisture
vaporizes. After cooling and straining the oil, it can be applied to
insides of ear by using a cotton ear-bud.
Garlic oil is often effective. Place 3 drops into your ear at night before going to bed.
For those who have chronic tinnitus, and fairly old ailment, 'Brihad Vata Chintamani Ras' is available. This is very expensive medicine as it is made from silver and gold oxides. It acts on nerves fairly rapidly calming Vata fast. Being a gold oxide based medicine, should be taken only a single tablet twice a day, mixed well with cow ghee and honey. The dose can be reduced to one tab per day, after the reduction of ringing.
Oral administration of "Sarasvati choorna" can be given in doses of a quarter teaspoon twice daily after meals. (We can supply this on request]
You can take Yogaraj guggulu(200 mg. 2 or 3 times a day) with warm water, after food. it will reduce inflammation in ear.
Drinking a cup of fenugreek seed tea each morning, noon, and night is reported to abolish disturbing ear noises.
To alleviate this root cause-aggravation of vata in the nervous system-prepare a tea made from equal amounts of comfrey, cinnamon, and chamomile. Steep up to 1 teaspoon of this mixture per cup, and drink 2 or 3 times a day.
Lifestyle Changes for Tinnitus management
- - Use hair oil daily
- - Use oil massage using Sesame oil or Mahanarayan Tailam for about 20 minutes to whole body and take hot water bath thereafter. The massage and bath just before bedtime will aid the sleep also.Oil massage calms down the Vata. Skin is an important seat of Vata, since it is widely distributed over the body.
- - Observe silence for a few days and note the change in ringing.
- - Tinnitus appears to have some connection with the number of hours one spends daily in front of computer monitor. The radiation emitted by monitor is hitting the user all the time. A number of cases having auditory or vision nerve problems are coming to light.
- - Do not travel or walk in an extreme cold climate. Do not take bath frequently.
- - Do not stop natural urges when body wants to eliminate the wastes.
- - To increase blood circulation, rub by a mud soap at bath time also gives the effect of massage. In addition, it cleanses the blood to some extent.
- - In addition, there are certain breathing techniques invented by Guru Padmasambhava two thousand years ago, which have to be learnt in presence of Guru. These are known to help in most of vatic ailments affecting the body.
- - Peace of mind and Vata vitiation are inversely proportional. In fact Vata dosha unbalance causes a vascillation and constantly thinking mind. Hence, in case of all Vata disorders meditation appears to help.
- - excess television watching, excess use of computers, or sleeping near an electrical outlet should be avoided.
- - Moderation in sensory activities.especially ear sense -avoid too much exposure to loud noises, music, speakers, and professional activities which involve high frequency sounds.
Lifestyle adjustments are thus an essential part of the effective treatment of tinnitus.
Charak Samhita : Chikitsa Sthana, chapter 26, Shlokas - 127,128.
Protocol Journal of Botanical Medicine, Vol.2, No.1, pp 172-173
Ó We have published an excellent E-book on Ayurvedic Management of Tinnitus. To Read More about this e-book CLICK HERE.