Diet Recommendations for Muscular Dystrophy-
- Wholesome diet supplemented with vitamins, amino acids, and herbs will help manage or reduce the debilitating muscular dystrophy symptoms.
- Avoid refined foods, including white bread, pasta, and sugar.
- Avoid or reduce use of red meat and trans fatty acids
- Don't eat cakes, cookies, crackers, French fries, onion rings, and other processed foods.
- Refrain from stimulants like coffee, alcohol, and tobacco.
- Include in your diet good sources of protein like cold-water fish, lean meats, and beans.
- Eat plenty of antioxidant-rich foods including fruit (blueberries, cherries, tomatoes) and dark green vegetables (kale, collard greens, spinach, and green peppers).
- Cook with unsaturated oils (canola and olive oil)
- Whole grains and dried fruit are other good sources of fiber around which you should plan your meals.
- Drink plenty of water in your daily routine at least 8-10 glass of water daily. It helps you to drive out the toxins outside the body
- Regular practice of meditation and deep breathing exercise improves the use of oxygen at the cellular level, particularly in muscle tissue. It also gives you inner strength to fight against problems.
- You need to maintain a healthy weight and avoid obesity if you have muscular dystrophy. Weight gain is particularly difficult for people with Muscular dystrophy because of the extra pressure that's placed on already weakened muscles.
- Keep away from smoking it increase your respiratory problems.
Yoga therapy & ayurvedic oil massages slows down muscle destruction. Gentle yoga asanas and breathing exercises strengthen the patient’s muscles, elongates the spine and promotes good Neuro-muscular fitness. Yoga has also shown to improve muscular dystrophy patient’s digestion and aid the elimination of toxins. In muscular dystrophy yoga can help you to cope up with symptoms and improve the quality of life. Regular practice of yoga can improves blood circulation and strengthens the weakening muscles.
Useful Yogasanas include -
- Surya Namaskar
- Nadi Shodhana Pranayama
- Bhramari Pranayama
- Anuloma - Vilom Pranayama
- Nada Anusadhana
- OM meditation