'Heart Disease'(Hrudroga) is a global phenomenon. It is now becoming a major health problem even in the developing countries.
The predisposing factors are heredity, high blood pressure, diabetes, high serum cholesterol and smoking. The way of living and the way of feeling appear to be quite an important factor in its increasing incidence.
The All India Institute of Medical Sciences recently held a conference where doctors from around the world discussed the efficacy of Ayurvedic drugs in relation to a 'heart-diseases. The medical fraternity agreed that India's ancient stream of medicine has some miracle cures for cardio-vascular diseases.
Cardiovascular problems have been dealt with at length in Ayurveda, which describes 'Hridaya' (heart) as a body organ governing emotions and circulating blood to keep a person alive and healthy.
Pathogenesis of Heart Problems
Cardiac problems arise mainly due to improper diet and stressful life styles. " These lead to thickening of arteries (dhamani praticaya) or hardening of arteries (dhamani kathinaya) resulting in angio-obstruction (vata dosa) and angina (ruja). "
High blood pressure that hammers the arterial walls roughens them and causes the arterial wall to thicken. fatty cholesterol particles get deposited under the inner lining of the arteries (i.e. atherosclerosis). The higher the pressure more the deposits will occur. Subsequently these deposits become calcified due to fibrous growth and involved arteries lose their elasticity. It prevents blood from flowing easily and may lead to clotting. The clot formation can suddenly choke off the blood supply and lead to a heart attack, stroke or kidney failure.
What Ayurveda can offer -
Ayurved is very much concerned about conservation of health. Ayurved presumes that improper dietary habits give rise to various disorders. With practice of dietary measures recommended in Ayurveda while elaborating ‘Medoroga Chikitsa’ will definitely beneficial in weight reduction. It will be helpful to minimize the risk of fatty cholesterol deposits and will prevent complication of high blood pressure.
You can improving your lifestyle and remove unnecessary stress by following some simple rules -
- Take strict vegetarian low fat diet.
- Coffee may increase your blood pressure. Coffee, which contains caffeine, enhances the action of adrenaline and noradrenaline and both are important in increasing blood pressure levels.
- Cigarette smokers tend to have high blood pressure. Nicotine increases the resting heart rate and increases the release of the adrenaline substances that tends to increase blood pressure. Cigarette smoking alone significantly increases risk of having heart attack.
- Regular Exercise helps to eliminate body fat, lower total cholesterol and raise HDL cholesterol that prevents fatty - cholesterol deposits. According to Ayurveda exercise improves the body, depletes excess fats, brings lightness of the body.
- Nurture love and affection all over the world. Love and affection and affectionate touch can significantly drop, your blood pressure.
- Be cool don’t get annoyed, speaking loudly and rapidly can significantly raise your blood pressure Chronic anger produces elevation in blood pressure and it can be a serious risk factor for coronary - heart - disease. So be cool, speak softly and gently
- Laughter is the best medicine:- Laughter is as good as relaxation therapy, exercise or other methods used to overcome stress. Study shows that laughter decreases adrenaline and cortisol production. Laughter can help you if you are having high blood pressure. If you are frustrated, unhappy, angry, just laugh and find yourself away from rage. It is of the effective medicine you always have with your, without spending a penny for it.
- Meditation: - Try to ease yourself with meditation and by performing yogic asanas like Shavasana.
As mentioned earlier we can see signs and symptoms of derangement of vata dosha and vyana vayu in high blood pressure. The treatment is to correct the balance of vata dosha.
Rasona or garlic is most important substance helpful in alleviating vata dosha controlling blood pressure. A paste made of about 1 gm of garlic should be mixed with a glass of buttermilk. Drink this buttermilk twice a day. It will bring your blood pressure down. Garlic lowers cholesterol and triglyceride that have impact on heart disease.
Soak 1 TSF fenugreek seed in water for a night and munch them early in the morning on empty stomach. It will reduce your cholesterol and excess fats.
A study conducted at the Gujarat Ayurvedic University, drugs such as Terminalia Arjuna and Jaharmohara were administered to heart patients. In 66 percent of the cases the levels of chest pains, palpitation and fatigue came down dramatically and blood pressure and pulse rate came back to normal.
The drug Terminalia Arjuna has been used in Ayurveda for cardiac ailments since ancient times. Arjuna is a dense and tall tree and has long, cone shaped round leaves and white bark used in medicines. This tree is called nadisarjja in Sanskrit and its bark is described as a cardiac tonic. The tree is indigenous to India though it is found also in Myanmar and Sri Lanka. Besides the heart, Terminalia Arjuna is said to be beneficial for internal bleeding, ulcers, asthma, diarrhea and dysentery.
Jaharmorha is another Ayurvedic drug used in the treatment of cardio-vascular diseases. It is a yellowish-green soft stone found in the Himalayas. Its powder is processed with rose water and administered to heart patients.
Triphala Guggul is yet another Ayurvedic preparation found useful in reducing cholesterol levels.
Related Articles :
- 'Heart care' -
- Hypertension and Ayurveda
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Heart Diseases
- Management of Heart Disease