Eyes are the one of those amazing gifts we have that has the ability of sight; which most of us take for granted. Imagine yourself not being able to see things routinely what will be your situation? Knowing the importance, of protecting your vision can help you to avoid problems in the future.
Here are some guidelines everyone can take to help prevent eye diseases and the problems related to them. It starts with knowledge of keeping the eye healthy and following the guidelines for maintaining good eye health.
Day to day care:
Each morning wash your eyes with cold water. Each morning upon waking fill your mouth with water and hold for a few seconds with your eyes closed. Spit it out and repeat 2-3 times. Blink your eyes about 7 times and give them a little warm up by rotating eyes from side to side, in both the directions, up and down. Maintain regular bowels. Protect your eyes from intense heat, wind, dust, smoke etc. Do not use too hot water during head bath. Too much of mental stress, anger, grief is also considered as harmful. Don't rub the area around the eyes, as it can be harmful. Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and alcohol before going to sleep. Of course good sleep is a must for healthy eyes.
Eyewash with Triphala is advised on a daily basis. Soak 1 spoon of triphala in a glass of water over night, strain through a clean cloth and use. Apply 1-2 drops of pure cows? ghee in the nostrils daily in the morning and at bed time, this remedy will improve the eyesight as well prevent some.
Common reasons leading to eye diseases are:
- Excess consumption of salty, sour, sweet foods, black gram, alcohol, sex
- A poor diet
- Controlling of natural urges like yawning, tears, hunger, stools, urine
- Exposure of eyes to intense heat, steam, dust or smoke
- Severe cold or rhinitis,
- Emotional disturbances like anger, frustration, worry, grief
- Irregular sleep pattern
- Stress, trauma to the eyes
- Observing very far things, minute things, staring at particular thing for long etc.
- Dairy products like milk, curds, cows ghee, goats ghee are also valuable
- Brown rice, meat soup, green gram are good for eyes
- Lactating mothers milk is considered as one of the best in eye care
- Carrot for strengthening the eyes and protecting them from night blindness
- Amalaki juice with honey as a tonic for eyes
- Vegetables such as Carrot, Capsicum, Cabbage, Pumpkins, Tomato, Green Leafy Vegetables Like Spinach, Coriander and Fruits Like Indian Gooseberry, Mangoes, Papayas, Guava, Lemon and Oranges are beneficial
- Non-vegetarian foods such as fish, liver and eggs are also useful
- Wash eyes with cold water at regular interval if the work is associated with computers, writing, reading, minute observations etc where in the eyes are strained more
- Blinking or and looking away at brief intervals helps to refrain from straining the eyes if working continuously with eyes
- The screen of the computer should not be above or below the level of the eyes
- Use protective screen to computer or eye protective glasses to avoid intense radiation effect of computer
- Take some time off and give rest to the eyes if you feel fatigue or heaviness in the eyes
- Do not watch TV / computer continuously for more than an hour
- Do not look at things in bright sunlight for a long time
- Avoid reading, writing or working in improper or dim light
- Avoid reading or working on laptops while traveling
Related Article - Ayurvedic Eye Care
Read Clearly Naturally Kit: Now You Can Finally Throw Away Those Annoying Reading Glasses!