Constipation is caused by wrong bowel habits, According to Ayurveda it is mainly caused by aggravation of Vata (air) though it can sometimes be caused by aggravation of pitta and kapha.
Improper eating habits including eating a lot of food, eating food which is difficult to digest (such as meat) and not eating enough vegetables and salads also lead to constipation. Irregular sleeping habits or emotional disturbances (stress, grief, fear or worry) are other causes for the constipation.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Constipation:
- In case of constipation one should be very careful with the use of laxatives as they can often weaken the colon due to their strong action. They should be taken only in acute conditions. It is better to use simple diet remedies. A lot can be recovered by proper eating habits.
- Eating freshly cooked food is helpful. Spices like cumin seeds, coriander, turmeric powder, fennel and asafetida is good as it makes the food easily digestive.
- Proper chewing of food is very important.
- Take plenty of leafy vegetables and salads.
- Drinking a glass of warm milk at the time of going to bed helps in evacuation, the next morning. In case of severe constipation mixing two tea spoonful of castor oil in the milk is very helpful.
- Taking lemon juice mixed with warm water two or three times a day also cleans the bowels.
- Very common and popular Ayurvedic medicine for constipation used by many Ayurvedic physicians is Triphala Churna/ Triphala tablets It is a powder made by grinding three kinds of fruits or herbs. This powder is now available in many western countries. 3 to 6 gms. of this powder - OR - 2- 3 tablets taken at the time going to bed with warm water or milk helps in having a clean bowel motion the next morning.
- A glass lukewarm milk with 10 gram ghee at bed time will also help
- 'Gandharva Haritaki Churna / tablets' at bed time with lukewarm water an another helpful remedy.
- Take ample fruits, fruit juices, salads, leafy and green vegetables. Whole grain bread can be taken. Unpolished rice can be taken moderately.
- Fried foods and beans should be avoided. Vegetables like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli are not good. Nuts and dry fruits should also be avoided.
- It is very much necessary to form a habit of evacuating early morning. Regular physical exercise is also important for having clear bowels. One should try to have relaxed mind, free from anxiety, stress etc.
Absolute No-nos! :
- --Pasteurized milk
- --Cooked eggs
- --Overcooked Meats
- --Refined starch.
"Ayurveda Can Cure Constipation"
This will give you detailed Ayurvedic approch of Constipation management.