Ayurveda has suggested number of excellent ideas for maintaining strength and health of your eyes.
- COOL WATER WASH - Early in the morning, when you wash your face, fill your mouth with cool water and hold it there; then splash cool water over your open eyes.You’re supposed to keep cool water in your mouth as you sprinkle the cool water on your eyes. This has a double cooling effect, both from outside and from the oral cavity, that will make your eyes feel fresh, happy, and cheerful. (You can use an eye cup instead.)
- GHEE LAMP - A traditional Ayurvedic way to strengthen and soothe the eyes is to gaze at the flame of a ghee lamp. Prepare a ghee lamp by taking a small bowl, placing a cotton wick in it, and adding ghee. Be sure the wick is made of genuine cotton. Also be sure the wick is not too thick. Apply a little ghee to the tip of the wick and then light it. Set the ghee lamp at a distance of 2 or 3 feet from you, remove your glasses, and gaze at the flame for 2 or 3 minutes without blinking. This procedure will improve the tejas or lustrous quality of the eyes.
- GOAT MILK STRESS REDUCER - For eyestrain, Ayurveda suggests taking a cotton ball or a piece of gauze, dipping it into cool goat’s milk, and putting it over your closed eyes. This will ease stress and make your eyes feel better. (If goat’s milk is not available, you may use cow’s milk, but goat’s milk is preferable.)
Ayurvedic Eye Exercises for strengthening your eyes
Following exercises will help.
- First, blink the eyes rapidly several times. Then, with eyes open, move your eyes in this pattern: First up and down,then side to side,then diagonally from top left to bottom right,then diagonally from top right to bottom left and lastly clockwise in a circle and counterclockwise in a circle
- Hold your arm outstretched in front of you. Look at the tip of your index finger, and gradually bring the finger close to you, following it with your eyes, until it touches your “third eye,” between the eyebrows.
- Look at the tip of your nose, and then up toward your “third eye.”
- Finally, close your eyes tightly, then release. These exercises are beneficial for improving the circulation of the eccentric muscles of the eyeball. After finishing the exercises, rub your palms vigorously together for a few seconds to generate some warmth, then place them lightly over your eyes. Feel the soothing warmth of them! Keep them there for a minute or two to strengthen and nourish your eyes.
- Sun SALUTE - Another effective way to keep eyes strong is to do the Sun Salutation exercise. Performing 12 sets of Sun Salutations is one of the best exercises for the entire body,including the eyes
Home Remedies for Burning Eyes -The following remedies are especially helpful for relief from burning eyes.
- TRIPHALA EYEWASH - Boil 1 teaspoon of triphala in a cup of water for 3 minutes. Cool the tea, and strain it with double- or triple-folded cheesecloth or a paper coffee filter so that no particle of triphala is left in the tea. Then wash your eyes with the tea.
- CASTOR OIL REMEDY - At bedtime, put 1 drop of pure castor oil, with no preservatives, into each eye. Also rub 1 teaspoon of the oil into the soles of your feet. Next morning your eyes will feel really happy and fresh!
- CUCUMBER SLICES - Cucumber has anti-irritation properties that help in bringing down inflammation, puffiness, swelling and irritation contributing to itchy eyes. Cut the cucumber into thin slices and chill them in the refrigerator for 15 mins. Take them out and cover the eyes with the slices. Repeat this procedure 4-5 times a day. Cucumber has a high water content and adds moisture to relieve dryness.
- ROSE WATER - Rosewater has soothing properties that refreshes the eyes reducing burning or irritation. It can be used as a eye drop in itelf. You can also dip cotton pads in chilled rosewater and place them over the eyes. Rose water will help in lowering the burning
- NETRANJAN - application of home made kaajal also helps in cooling the eye .It relaxes the muscles. It is made of castor oil and natural camphor. It is black and people use it cosmetically as an eye liner, but it is actually medicinal and good for the eyes.
- ALOE VERA- Aloevera juice can be used both as a compress and eye drop to provide relief from burning eyes. Mix ½ tsp of aloevera juice in a cup of cool boiled water. Use it as an eyedrop. Use it as a compress by soaking a piece of cloth or cotton pad in the juice and thereafter covering the eyes with them.
Related Article - Eye Care
Read Clearly Naturally Kit: Now You Can Finally Throw Away Those Annoying Reading Glasses!