Symptoms of ama:
- Srotorodha -Obstruction- This can occur in any large, small, or minute channel, when it is indicated by stagnation and disturbance in transport, and metabolism can occur even at the cellular level. The commonly observed obstructions are in the liver (affecting the passage of bile), the urinary tract, the fallopian tubes, the blood vessels, the respiratory tract, etc.
- Weakness or reduced working power in any part or organ is due to the difficulty produced by ama in the contraction and relaxation of the musculature of the part, even when the organic structure of the muscle is normal.
- Obstruction of the movement of Vata- Ama on one side causes disturbance in the action of the musculature of the part or organ, and on the other side it causes disturbances in the conduction of nerve impulses, and ultimately the activity of the concerned part becomes reduced or stopped.You will lack mental clarity and energy and feel weary and unenthusiastic
- Heaviness and Lethargy.
- tongue is coated especially upon awaking in the morning
- Metabolic disturbance. Due to various diseases such as obesity, diabetes, etc., metabolic disturbance is produced. ( Ash. Su. 13 /23)
Signs of Ama :
Feeling heavy, muzzy headed, unclear thinking, aches and pains, bloating, gas, skin blemishes, fever, lack of energy, stickiness, foul smells (breath, sweat, urine, stools, phlegm), sinking stool, mucous in stool, turbid urine, lack of appetite or taste, indigestion, sticky/sweet taste in the mouth, copious phlegm. Pulse; deep, dull, slippery Tongue; thick, greasy coating.
Modern signs of ama:
High triglycerides, atherosclerosis, late-onset diabetes, high blood sugar levels, some forms of depression, rheumatoid factor, the presence of H. pylori bacteria, leukocytosis or leukocytopenia (deficient and excess white blood cells), excess anti-bodies, Candida albicans in the gut and uterus, blood urea, gout, excess platelet count, High IgE levels from allergic reactions, excess red blood cells, gall stones as a sign of excess bile, kidney stones as a sign of un-metabolised calcium and oxalates, high liver enzymes (ALT, AST), intra-occular pressure (glaucoma), bacterial infection, high temperature, tumours.
Effects of ama :
When such toxins come in contact with dosha, tissues, or waste product, it produces sama dosha, sama tissues and sama mala. In Ayurvedic texts symptoms of the sama and nirama stage of the doshas, tissues, and waste products are described for all the diseases.
Ayurveda attributes cause of any disease to an imbalance in one or all of the doshas and for successful treatment of a particular disease physician has to determine, weather the imbalanced dosha is 'Sam' or 'Niram'
Treatment of ama :
Anti-vata: Fresh Ginger, Linseed, Nutmeg, Garlic, Asafoetida, Cumin, Black Pepper, Fennel, Castor oil. Also try Asafoetida Formula, which is very useful for clearing wind, bloating and spasms from the intestines.
Anti-pitta: Kalmegh, Aloe Vera, Fennel, Coriander, Guduchi, Neem. Also try Amalaki formula that contains cooling herbs to clear heat toxins from the system.
Anti-kapha: Ginger, Cumin, Black pepper, Pushkaramoola, Punarnava, Tulsi, Vacha, Guggul. Also try the famous Ayurvedic formula called Trikatu, renowned for its heating properties that can literally digest toxins.
Specific Therapies: - Sweating, fasting, hot water, wind and sun therapy, vigorous exercise, Panchakarma.
Anti-ama Diet: Emphasise pungent, bitter, astringent flavours.
- Fruit: No sweet fruit, only sour - cranberry, lemon, lime, grapefruit
- Vegtables: Steamed sprouts, steamed vegetables – some raw is good for pitta. Lots of greens; microalgae – especially chlorella. No root/sweet vegetables or mushrooms
- Grains: No bread/ pastries. Less wheat and oats. Kicharee; barley, quinoa, millet, rye, rice
- Beans: Mung
- Nuts: None, some pumpkin seeds
- Dairy: None. Goats' milk is slightly astringent and is less Kapha forming
- Meat: No shellfish, fish, fats, red meat, pork, eggs
- Oils: None. Ghee okay in small quantities as are mustard or linseed oils, which are drying
- Sweetners: None. Sugar is ama forming. Honey is okay (2 tsp/day).
- Drinks: Ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel, dandelion root coffee.
This article is from our bestseller ebook - 'Arthritis, Ayurveda and You'