In traditional Indian medicine system called Ayurveda, Tulsi (Holy Basil) is considered as a tonic to retain youth and avoid aging. Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Phytonutrients and the essential oils in Tulsi, are excellent anti oxidants and protects the body from nearly all the damages caused by the free radicals.
- * Tulsi reduces blood glucose levels. Thus it is useful for diabetics. Tulsi contains vitamin C and other anti oxidants (such as Eugenol), which protect the heart from harmful effects of free radicals.
- * Tulsi reduces total cholesterol levels. Thus it is useful for heart disease patients.Tulsi also reduces blood pressure.
- * Tulsi helps in building up stamina , use it to prepare herbal tea.
- * Tulsi is useful in the treatment of respiratory system disorders. A decoction of the leaves, with honey and ginger is an effective remedy for bronchitis, asthma, influenza, cough and cold. A decoction of the leaves, cloves and common salt also gives immediate relief in case of influenza. They should be boiled in half a liter of water till only half the water is left and add then taken. Tulsi is an important constituent of many Ayurvedic cough syrups and expectorants. It helps to mobilize mucus in bronchitis and asthma. Chewing tulsi leaves relieves cold and flu.
- * Tulsi is used as mouth wash for reducing tooth ache.Its leaves, dried in the sun and powdered, can be used for brushing teeth. It can also be mixed with mustered oil to make a paste and used as toothpaste. This is very good for maintaining dental health, counteracting bad breath and for massaging the gums. It is also useful in pyorrhea and other teeth disorders.
- * Tulsi is an excellent mouth freshener and oral disinfectant and its freshness lasts very long in the mouth. Holy Basil destroys more than 99 percent of the germs and bacteria in the mouth and this effect lasts long. It also cures ulcer in the mouth. It is also known to help inhibit growth of oral cancer caused by chewing tobacco etc.
- * Tulsi (Holy Basil) is an excellent anti biotic, germicidal, fungicidal and disinfectant and very efficiently protects our body from nearly all sorts of bacterial, viral and fungal infections. Fever is mainly caused due to infections from protozoa (in case of malaria), bacteria (typhoid), viruses (flu) and even allergic substances and fungus. Actually, fever is not an ailment in itself. It is just a symptom which shows that our body is fighting against infections. The tremendous disinfectant, germicidal and fungicidal properties of Tulsi destroys all these pathogens discussed above and heals fever. It is an old practice in India to have decoction of Tulsi leaves and flowers in cases of fever
- * Tulsi leaves are regarded as an 'adaptogen' or anti-stress agent. Recent studies have shown that the leaves afford significant protection against stress. Even healthy persons can chew 12 leaves of basil, twice a day, to prevent stress. It also has immuno-modulatory properties.
- * Many herbal cosmetics contain tulsi. Tulsi purifies blood. Applied locally, Tulsi juice is beneficial in the treatment of ringworm and other skin diseases and hence used in skin ointments. Tulsi leaves or oil extracted from it on the body keeps mosquitoes and other insects away.
- * Insect Bites: The herb is a prophylactic or preventive and curative for insect stings or bites. A teaspoonful of the juice of the leaves is taken and is repeated after a few hours. Fresh juice must also be applied to the affected parts. A paste of fresh roots is also effective in case of bites of insects and leeches. Tulsi acts as insect repellant. So it is used to store grains also.
- * Tulsi is useful in Eye Care & Headache. You can be free from conjunctivitis, boils and many other problems of eyes (which are caused due to viral, bacterial or fungal infection) by washing your eyes with water where few leaves of Tulsi are soaked. It also soothes eyes and reduces stress. A regular consumption can protecteyes from all the damages done by the free radicals, such as cataract, macular degeneration, glaucoma,vision defects, opthalmia etc. due to the high anti oxidant properties of its essential oils, vitamin A, vitamin C, etc. Headaches caused due to migraine, sinus, cough and cold, high blood pressure, etc. can be effectively controlled by the use of Tulsi. Camphene, Eugenol, Cineol, Carvacrol and Methyl Chavicol have excellent analgesic, sedative, anti congestive and disinfectant properties.
- * Recent research shows that tulsi does have analgesic ( pain killer) properties similar to COX 2 inhibitor drugs.
- * Ursolic acid, a chemical in tulsi may have a role as antifertility ( contraceptive) agent in future.
- * Tulsi, being detoxifier and mild diuretic in nature, can help reduce uric acid level (main culprit as far as kidney stones are concerned) concentration in the blood as well as helps cleaning of the kidneys through urination. Acetic acid (CH3COOH) and certain components in its essential oils also facilitate dissolution of the stone. It has painkiller effects and help bear the pain from kidney stones.
- * Tulsi can protect from radiation poisoning and also heal up damages from it. It acts as a vaccine against pox if consumed regularly. It is anti carcinogenic and it found to be effective in healing nearly all types of cancer and tumors.
Today while learning and practicing Ayurveda and alternative medicine ; the knowledge of the Healing Herbs described in Ayurveda is very important.
|We are offering this ebook as an easier way to learn about the medicinal Herbs. |
"Ayurvedic Herbology" is a set of 5 Volumes in E-Book form!!
If you are interested in doing ----Interactive Online Herbology Course- with certificate from International academy of Ayurveda