Indian Gooseberry is known as Amla and Amalaki in Sanskrit language. When it is referred to amla, it is generally the fruit which is light greenish-yellow in color that possesses innumerable health benefits. The importance of Amalaki has been described in Ayurvedic texts dating thousands of years back. Even today, Ayurvedic practitioners use this wonder herb to treat and heal plenty of health ailments without any unwanted or harmful effects.
The nutritional facts of Amalaki include bioflavonoids, flavones, polyphenols and carotenoids. It is the richest natural source of vitamin C available on this planet. The amounts of Vitamin C in mid-sized Amalaki is four times and eight times more than what it is found in mid-sized orange and tomato respectively. The unique thing about amalaki fruit is the ascorbic acid found is nearly indestructible even by burning or drying it. This makes the richest bio-availability of Vitamin C in this fruit that plays significant role in the synthesis of neurotransmitters. It is also required for the collagen and carnitine synthesis, important molecules that produce energy from the fat cells whenever required.
Amlaki is known as a rasayana herb that enhances and restores the process of conservation, transformation and resurgence of the life force. It is one of the ingredients of the most famous Ayurvedic compound Triphala. Amalaki is also the chief ingredient in Chyvanprasha, one of the flagship formulas described in Ayurvedic text.
Botanical Name : Emblica Officinalis
Family : Euphorbiaceae
Taste : Five Tastes (Sour, Astringent, Sweet, Bitter and Pungent). It does not contain Salty taste.
Parts Used : Fruits
- Mild laxative
Amazingly, though the fruit of Indian gooseberry is chiefly sour, it is a potent antacid as described in Ayurvedic texts. This effect of the fruit is thought to be due to its sweet vipaka (post-digestive effects) and sheeta virya (cooling potency). It helps in reducing all the three bodily humors (Vata, Pitta and Kapha) but mainly Pitta.
Health Benefits of Amalaki :
- Amalaki inhibiting the aging process
- Amalaki Prevents common cold
- Amalaki is a nutritional powerhouse and hence used to boost immunity and restore body's vitality.
- Amalaki provides energy to vital organs and hence used in chronic illness recovery.
- Amalaki helps in regulating blood glucose levels in diabetic patients.
- Amalaki facilitates absorption of iron in the body and improves hemoglobin level.
- Amalaki possesses potent anti-inflammatory action and hence used in various gastrointestinal tract inflammation such as gastritis.
- Amalaki contains natural digestive enzymes and hence used in indigestion.
- Amalaki promotes spermatogenesis.
- Amalaki reduces serum cholesterol and reduces high blood pressure.
Today while learning and practicing Ayurveda and alternative medicine ; the knowledge of the Healing Herbs described in Ayurveda is very important.
|We are offering this ebook as an easier way to learn about the medicinal Herbs. |
"Ayurvedic Herbology" is a set of 5 Volumes in E-Book form!!
If you are interested in doing ----Interactive Online Herbology Course- with certificate from International academy of Ayurveda
Home Remedies with Amalaki:
- Recurrent nasal infections – Consuming regularly Fresh Aamla juice mixed with fresh ginger juice, honey & a pinch of rock salt is an effective remedy to prevent frequent attacks of common cold and sinusitis.
- Hair care – Add 750 gms of Aamla fruits, after making multiple pinholes in them, in 1 litre of coconut oil and keep in direct sunlight for 10 days, thereafter stored in glass containers. Applying regularly to hair & scalp is an effective remedy for preventing premature graying & falling of hair besides providing a conditioning & coolant effect to the hair.
- Oily hair - Take half cup of Aamla juice & half a cup of lime juice and dilute this with water to apply & use as an anti-oil hair wash.
- Bleeding - Drink fresh juice of Aamla fruits diluted in water, or mix 1 teaspoon of dried Aamla powder in a glass of water with some honey and drink 2-3 times a day. It helps to check bleeding.
- White spots on Nails – Aamla, being an excellent source of Vit-C, acts as an effective remedy in vitamin-deficient conditions.
- Anaemia - Add Aamla juice & honey to sugarcane juice and drink everyday.
- Bleeding Piles – Separate water from yoghurt by hanging in mustard cloth and add some Aamla juice to it. Drink this mixture 2-3 times daily to check bleeding in piles.
- Leucorrheas – 1 teaspoonful of dried & powdered Aamla fruit with seeds, mixed with honey & fennel seeds to be applied as a jam in longitudinally cut ripe banana fruit and to be eaten twice daily. It helps in checking various vaginal discharges.
- Mild abdominal pain & discomfort - Mix 1 tsp of powdered fennel seeds in half cup of Aamla juice and drink to relieve abdominal pain & discomfort.
- Hoarse voice and cough – Add one teaspoonful of dried Aamla powder in warm water and mix 1 teaspoonful of honey and drink thrice a day to relieve unpleasant throat & hoarse voice. In dry cough, add a pinch of rock salt & a decoction of fennels seeds to it.
- Diabetes - Probably the most celebrated effect of Aamla is its anti-diabetic property. Take 1 / 4 cup of amla fruit juice or a tsp of Aamla powder with a tsp of turmeric powder everyday.
- Health toner - As one of the richest sources of Vit-C, amla can be used generally to prevent infections and tone up the body.
- Rejuvenation – Take dried & powdered Aamla fruits and an equal quantity of dried dates, seedless raisins and jaggery. Roll this preparation into small pills and take 3-5 gms of such pills every day as a general rejuvenator
- Mixed with honey and taken daily has also been said to be useful in preserving eyesight and reducing intra-ocular tension in a remarkable manner. It is also beneficial in the treatment of conjuctivitis and glaucoma.
- Half to one teaspoonful of Emblica officinale mixed with two teaspoonfuls of jaggery and taken twice daily for one month is also said to be a good remedy for the management of rheumatism. The regular use of Emblica officinale prevents aging, improves body resistance and strengthens heart, hair & different glands in the body.
Medicinal Uses of Amalaki:
Amalaki, either as a single herb or in combination with other herbs has been used to treat many health ailments such as… Acidity, Baldness, Boils in the Mouth, Cataract, Chicken-pox, Common cough and cold, Constipation, Chronic Headache, Chronic Fever, Darkness before the Eyes, Discharge of Albumin, Dryness in the Body, Diabetes, Dyspepsia, Dysentery, Premature Ejaculation, General Debility, Gout, Hoarse Voice, Hair-Loss, High Blood Pressure, Hysteria, Indigestion, Itching on the Body, Impure Blood, Eruptions, Jaundice, Loose Motions, Menstrual Disturbance, Migraine, Nose Bleeding, Obesity, Pimples, Piles, Poisonous Insect-bite, Rashes, Restlessness,
Amalaki is one of the essential ingredients of 'TRIPHLA' choorna (powder). Which is the most important and most popular combination of Indian Herbs in Ayurvedic system of medicine. The other two ingredients are known as 'HIRADA' & 'BEHADA'. The combination of these three super herbs is so wonderful that it can create miraculous results in body and mind. It has the power to balance TRIDOSHA (VATA, PITTA and KAPHA).Read more about TRIPHALA.
CHYAVAN-PRASH: is also an ancient most popular rejuvenator tonic of Ayurveda.
Maharshi Chyavan first prepared this medicine and that is why it is known as "Chyavan-Prash". It is made by mixing the elixir of eighteen roots and herbs in the fresh Aamlaki Paste and sugarcane syrup.
Chyavan-Prash enhances body metabolism and immunity and considered to be one of the most health promoting products of Ayurveda.
Have a big spoonful of this Chyavanprash with milk every day morning. This diet is a powerful tonic. It is said that Sage Chyavan made it to bring back youth in an old and fragile body.
Read more about "CHYAVAN-PRASH" !
Judith Martin from Kalkara, Maltese, Malta. says - I am suffering pain allover my body.Yesterday I started to take Amalaki and it already had done miracles.The pain had subsided to 75%.I was useing reamedys before,now I changed to Indian pure herbs and it's giveing me my healt back.